Are we experienced in tinting windows?

When doing a quote, I sometimes get asked, was our experience is.

Looking back to when I started my own business around '96, I find it hard to imaging still doing the same. After some time learning the trade and working as installer, I started my own business.

Those days, I still had a part time job and tinted in my spare time. I would drop leaflets in letterboxes, have small local newspaper ads, do the quotes, cut the film at night, install it, do the paper work and so on. I was the business!

Funny, I would order just enough film to complete the job. I would then push back the coffee table and start cutting the film on the carpet in the lounge, while watching TV. My budgie would come down, run all over the film and talk to it's reflection in the film.

Those were the hard times in one sense, making it from day to day.

Now, times are still hard, but in a different way. Every day, we have to ensure installations are booked in for the installers, ample film is in stock and ordered well in advance from our manufacturers in the the USA and paid for. Our office staff organise do the paper work, collect payments and take calls.

We have established a large network, from where we get referrals and often urgent jobs. Out tax bill exceeds my annual turnover of the early days. I now have a large responsibility to all my staff, contractors, network an clients.

Is everything always going to plan? Well, mostly. When it's not, we make absolutely sure, that it will be fixed, no matter the costs to us. As they say, you learn from your mistakes.

Every week, we do between 30 and 40 installations. This takes some organisation, dedication and flexibility. Nobody in New Zealand has grown to the same extent over the years; many have fallen over, some are still where they were 15 years ago. Every single window tinting business boasting a long history has changed hands over the years, making their claims of experience somewhat a lie.

What is our experience in window tinting? I have a feeling that we are doing something right and know what we are talking about.
Call 0800 846 892 for a qualified quote

Update: We now run a smaller operation in the Waikato, less stress, more life.

No comments: